More fuel capacity

Under seat fuel tank and guard finally fitted

Under seat fuel tank and guard finally fitted

The next stage of adding more fuel capacity is well under way now. In total we should end up with approximately 145 litres, around 32 gallons.

Now the ECU and associated wiring is out from underneath the driver’s seat the next step was to remove the under seat box. That in itself was pretty straight forward as it’s only held in by pop rivets, albeit around 30 of them ! Once they were all drilled out the box itself was easy to remove. I’d not realised until I removed it that the box also fills part of the seat box aperture so I needed to make an aluminium filler plate to close the gap. Fortunately I had some 2mm plate in the garage that was ideal for the job and it’s all closed up now and relatively water tight with the removable cover clipped in place.

New filler cap... and my thumb... :)

New filler cap… and my thumb… 🙂

The fuel pump was also mounted on the side of the ECU box so I had to make a bracket that attaches the fuel pump to the chassis. One immediate effect of that was that the fuel pump is a LOT quieter now it’s not bolted to a box that amplifies the sound.

Getting the fuel tank, the fuel tank guard and the sill bars all fitted at the same time took a lot of work. The tank guard mounting brackets are designed to connect to the same mounting points as the sill guards. This meant that the tank guard brackets all needed to be modified so they could all exist together without getting in each other’s way. the tank guard mounting bracket also seemed to be the wrong size to match up with the body so that had to be cut and welded. All in all just getting the tank guard fitted at the same time as the sill guard took the best part of two days work.

Under seat fuel filler pipe

Under seat fuel filler pipe

I then spent a day manufacturing the filler pipe that will allow the new tank to be filled using an aero style filler on the side of the back body. Hopefully I’ve got the angles and venting right so it’ll be easy to fill, nothing worse than a tank that has to be filled slowly or with the pump nozzle at strange angles to avoid the pump cutting out all the time.

The filler cap more or less had to be mounted where it is to get enough drop on the tank and be able to fit the pipework in, I’d have liked to get it aligned with the old LPG filler, in fact with hindsight I wish I’d mounted the LPG filler higher so I could have replaced it with the new one.

The pipe is made of 50mm stainless pipe and bends, cut and welded to fit. Hopefully the welds will be diesel tight, never easy to do with a MIG welder but I’m pretty confident I got it right… I’ll find out for sure when I fill the tank !

The next job is to re-plumb the fuel pump and pipework so it can work from either tank as well as having the ability, with a small amount of re-plumbing, to transfer fuel from one tank to the other.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *